Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc. is offering an employment opportunity for a Director of Development and Operations position in 2018. For more information, contact Troyce Fisher, Board President.
Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc., Director of Development and Operations (Download description)
Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc.
800 Second Avenue North
Clear Lake, Iowa 50428
The role of the Director of Development and Operations is to assist in fulfilling the mission of Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc. to provide a public, intergenerational garden environment that is welcoming, beautiful, calm, educational, recreational, and fun.
Job Description Categories
A. Fund-raising and Development
- Assist with expansion of the membership base by implementing individual membership efforts, business/corporate sponsorship programs and major donations.
- Participate in grant writing efforts with the volunteer grant writer and keep accurate reporting requirements for each grant
- Develop new opportunities to collaborate with other entities in order to share revenue from joint ventures
- Assist board member who works with brick sales campaigns
B. Rentals and Events
- Direct the rentals program by scheduling, working with the parties that have contracted the facility, ensuring the smooth facilitation of the facility, and doing follow-up to ensure that accurate billing has occurred, in an efficient manner consistent with the events protocol.
- Support volunteers’ efforts with major events such as the spring plant sale and gardening fair, the summer garden party, and either coordinate the Picnics and Performances series or work with a volunteer to do same.
- Suggest ideas for expansion programs and events to include new offerings that attract various demographic groups to the Gardens
- Support the Events Committee’s programs and initiatives
- Ensure that CGNI has a robust presence on appropriate social media
- Solicit and write articles for the newsletter “What’s Growing On in Central Gardens” and ensure timely distribution of same
- Share responsibilities with volunteers for making presentations to interested groups about CGNI
- Share responsibilities with volunteers for conducting tours of CGNI
D. Overall operational planning and oversight
- Support executive functions of the board by taking minutes at board meetings, helping the board president develop meeting agendas, and executing board policies, procedures, and decisions developed by the board in a timely manner.
- Make recommendations to the board for increased efficiencies of operations
- Review insurance coverage annually and make recommendations for any proposed changes in coverage to the board
- Attend committee meetings of the board to ensure awareness of all CGNI activities and functions.
E. Other duties as assigned
- Fulfill requests not specifically identified above but critical to the smooth functioning of CGNI.
- Grow the position’s responsibilities to compliment CGNI’s mission
Conditions of Employment
A. Position Qualifications
1. Education: B.A./B.S. strongly preferred
2. Experience: Successful experience in project management and organization or equivalent experience leading a non-profit organization
3. Special Skills and Competencies: The Director of Development and Operations must have excellent verbal, written, computer, and presentation communication skills, be comfortable asking for financial support for CGNI from individuals, groups, and businesses, be highly skilled in working with a wide variety of people to build positive relationships on behalf of CGNI, have a high level of organizational skills, and be a self-starter who can help create a vision for the vitality of the Gardens and have the practical skills to make the vision a reality. S/he must be a professional who is a self-starter and does whatever is necessary to make Central Gardens of North Iowa successful in all respects.
B. Working Conditions: This position is primarily an office job but requires an ability to work outside, do moderate lifting, and work in a variety of temperatures and weather conditions.
C. Terms of Employment:
This position is 0.5 FTE, equivalent (80 hrs. per month/10 days per month on average) with the expectation that more hours will be spent from April through October than in the off-season. The understanding is that the director of operations and development is expected to work whatever hours necessary to accomplish identified objectives.
E. Performance Evaluation and Reporting Relationships
The Director of Development and Operations is to be evaluated annually after an initial 30-day, 3-month and 6-month performance review conducted by the CGNI Executive Committee. Quarterly goals are set in collaboration with the board president to whom the director reports. A log of hours spent and work tasks completed is required.
Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should forward electronically an application form in a timely fashion. The form asks that the candidate submit contact information; work, volunteer, and education history; names and contact information of three references that can speak with deep knowledge of the applicant’s skills, work ethic, and character; and an official transcript. BA strongly preferred. Send completed application materials by May 31 to:
Central Gardens of North Iowa, Inc.
PO Box 735
Clear Lake, IA 50428